Friday, December 11, 2009

I need to constantly remind myself that I still have a week left of teaching after this week. My brain is on the verge of seriously checking out, telling me that "it is December and nearly VACATION."

While it is indeed December, there's still plenty of work to do. Tomorrow is the kiddo's recital, and while much of my energy is being spent getting them ready for it, perhaps even more is being spent asking whatever weather gods may be listening to not hit us as hard with the freezing rain tonight as predicted. They've worked too hard to get cancelled on.

And next week will be filled with new assignments and lots of inspiring talks about WHY it's important to practice over the holidays and that taking the entire two weeks off would be a very bad idea.

Do you suppose any of my students will take it to heart? More importantly, will I?

I sense a fight brewing in my own head to keep focused for the remaining teaching week. Stay on target...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Why is it important that you at least practice a bit over vacation?

Here's why:

Do you really want to see one of your students reach the pinnacle moment of playing better than their teacher because you slacked off?

Or would you want that same moment to come after you've both worked so hard and they've finally reached that special moment through sheer moxie?

That's why you should practice. It'll make that day seem much more special.