Friday, February 5, 2010

WARNING: THERE IS A PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILER CONTAINED HEREIN. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.
***
Thursday is good television. When Hubby and I can catch NBC's comedy primetime (minus Leno, of course), we always have fun. Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, and 30 Rock, while not the strongest combination of shows I've ever seen on NBC's Thursday night lineup, is still a pretty strong block of shows. And afterwards, Lifetime has stuck Project Runway into the perfect post-primetime slot. So it was amusing, when, somewhere during a commercial break of Parks and Rec, Tom looked over at me, and with a mouth full of tuna and rice, commented, "Okay, Jesus is going home tonight."

I just hoped he was right. Not only has Jesus created some dismal designs, but he seems determined that his decisions are the best, and disregards Tim Gunn's comments as if they are not, on most occasions, PURE GOLD. He actually strikes me as quietly snarky. And when last night's challenge was an opportunity to work with REAL women of REAL sizes, he gushed at how tall and skinny his model was, and how easy it was going to be to work with her.

Fool.

It worried me a little when he sent down a wonderfully constructed piece down the runway. It wasn't my favorite, but it seemed well-fit and sparkly, and I thought "Ugh... they might really like it." To my delight, however, Michael Kors saw through his BS, as he seems to have a talent for doing. Jesus got the boot, and Hubby got to show off a smug smile for picking it way ahead of time.

Now it's a little difficult to pick a frontrunner. Amy ended up winning the challenge with a beautiful flowy dress draped in chiffon, but winning a challenge at this point is not too much of a power grab. Emilio has put himself forth as the most critical and bitchy, and if last season is any indication, he'll be the one winning at Bryant Park. I find myself intrigued by Seth Aaron's designs, but they may border on a little too individualized. And I just hope they keep Anthony around for a few more weeks - just for entertainment.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I can comment on this! (Hurray for shows we have in common.)

Okay, yes, Jesus just had to leave. Right when I saw his dress I was all, "CHEAP! Oh, they're gonna rip him a new one." I think my favorite part was Heidi trying to be diplomatic because it does no good to humiliate the guest model because her designer has no taste. This is one instance where I almost wish the regular models were there so the judges could go to town on that monstrosity.

As for the front runners, I'm leaning towards Mila and Amy. I like Seth Aaron's stuff - even though I don't see myself wearing it very often (it's just a sort of utilitarian/youthful mix that is sort of pleasing). And Emilio has now come along as outright bitch these last few weeks. Where was all that snark in week one, I ask you.

Now that Jesus and Ping are gone (thank goodness!), I think Jesse needs to leave before we might have a show where some talent and personality may prevail.

Also, if you want some wonderful recaps of Project Runway, get thee to Television Without Pity or Project Rungay (or both!). Some funny stuff abound with those sites.