Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I don't think we realized, as kids, how much power we actually had over adults. All it took were a few well-placed words in a vulnerable situation, and we had those adults wishing they knew what was going inside those tiny little heads of ours.

I'm only starting to realize it myself... all it takes during my lessons with the kiddos is an off-the-cuff comment. I'm personally invested in them as it is, and if they are able to involuntarily poke a nerve, it can really stay with me. It's amazing - kids don't mean it when they poke at a nerve. Adults do the same thing and it's emotional manipulation.

When does that point of understanding come about? I think for most kids, it starts young, with people you know well. We recognize that the cute things we do make our parents happy, and they're less likely to tell us "no" when we're happy, and therefore we act cute more often. We're taught in school at a young age that it's rude to point out things that could be perceived as flaws or insecurities. Pointing out another kid's bad skin or poor reading abilities makes them feel powerless. But where do the more subtle comments turn into manipulations? When can we start to read reactions of others and know we've said something wrong? I know there are still adults who have yet to figure this out... or who love the manipulation. But when a kid does it, they're still learning their own social interaction. And what is our responsibility as adults? Do we shake it off and chalk it up to childhood? Do we tell them they've done something that's stung?

My role as a mentor has plenty of gray areas like this. I have so much to learn.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You're so deep. This is why I leave these sort of things to you.

But to be serious, I think you can tell a child that something has stung as long as the tone stays casual and open - especially since you are a mentor. If you come across as too domineering or confrontational as to why the kid is hurtful (especially if you're not related), you'll get the parents involved and it'll be a mess.

I think it's finding that balance between not making the situation too much about yourself (even if the comment is directed at you) but also showing that a remark does affect you and it could affect how the bond is forged from here on out.

At that point, you're handing the kid the ball and if they see "Oh, hey, that wasn't too cool. Thanks for that. Sorry." then you know it might be worth it to explore the emotional aspect of your relationship. Even ask if they have their own moments of "teach, that's not cool." An emotional give and take.

If they don't heed your words and are like "You're too sensitive" or whatever, that's when you take an emotional step back. You can still teach and make them better, but know that you're not in the best position to proselytize. And know that, eventually, someone on the same (or even uneven) power level will call them out.

But, yes, err on the side of caution because you are not related to the kids. And even if you have a wonderful rapport and an awesome relationship, know that you're still implying/saying that they're imperfect in their character makeup.

A New Leaf said...

At times, I completely agree with you. And I have taken steps like that with several of my students with no consequences. The particular little guy I've been stung by is a little more complicated. Basically I view my lessons with him as his opportunity to step away from whatever sucky stuff he is experiencing in his life. Music functions this way for a lot of our students. And without going too much into it, his comment implied that his lessons are just like everything else in his life.

I don't know. I've gotten so much better at not taking things personally. Sometimes, however, I feel as though there are things much, much bigger than me at hand. I'm not sure how much impact I can have at times.

Lisa said...

What, you say I'm not right all the time? :D

From a complete outsider's point of view, your statement could be taken two ways: either he's just going through a rough time or the importance of music/the lessons doesn't quite match between the two of you.

If it's the former and if you really want to make it a safe haven, I would ask how can you make the lessons better for him. Knowing that, yeah, you might place yourself as a bit of a punching bag. But you also realize that off-the-cuff comments hurt but it happens to everyone. As long as there's positive progression.

If it's the latter, I think it's a regrettable instance of probably just sucking it up. You can only enable the love of music so much in a person. It's up to them to let things grow. And you'll have people who live for it like you do and people who will love it, but it's not the core of their being. Priorities are priorities.

And, really, what it all boils down to is you can only do so much. You can't dictate the degree of how much a positive or a negative impact you will have on a person (well, maybe with the negative you could). And you roll with the punches and learn from each experience.