Sunday, October 19, 2008

Running, Day 3

What a difference a week makes...

I found not nearly as much strain in my running this week, and I think there's a few things that are attributing to that. Obviously, my body is going to find it just slightly easier to run every time I do it, as it gets used to the pain and torture I'm ruthlessly inflicting on it. I also stretched more this morning before I went out (amidst plenty of pops in my muscles - turns out Swan Lake will tighten things up a bit!), and I ran in a quiet neighborhood to make sure I wasn't inhaling car exhaust the WHOLE time I was running. Again, no hacking up a lung, though I did feel a little soreness in my breathing near the end, which I'm pretty sure was because I was breathing in 40 degree air. Day 4 will start a new week, and new tests to my running apparel. Thank goodness I sprung for that sports bra!

In other news, today is my momma's birthday. I'm sure we'll end up bringing her a present when we get out to Knoxville for Thanksgiving, but I'm a little stumped as to what to get. My parents, each in their own way, are a little hard to shop for. They'll both be appreciative of whatever they receive, of course, but my mother, when asked, never wants to burden either me or my sister with the act of getting a gift, claiming our undying love or adoration will be enough gift for her.

Blahhdy blah blah. When really pressed, the best she can come up with is that maybe she needs a new pair of socks.

My father is very forthcoming with what he wants. And most of the time, what he wants starts with the words "circular table saw", combined with some model number and fancy brand name. These usually run in the $500 - $3000 category, and historically are second in gift request only to a high definition big screen television. My grandparents recently got one of those, and every time he's over at their place, suddenly all is right with the world. The Packers could be losing by three touchdowns late in the fourth quarter, and all that manages to come out of his mouth is "but... lookit the picture!"

Christmas, Dad's birthday, and Father's Day are always a mad dash between myself, my mom, and my sister to be the first to pick up the latest Madden Football or Metal Gear Solid game. I usually lose.

So I guess I will go with love and adoration at the moment, because truthfully, it's all I got. Hopefully, sometime within the next month, I'll find something that will just be PERFECT for Momma, and hear those beautiful words of gratefulness, "You didn't have to!"

No comments: