Saturday, June 5, 2010

Inspiration

That's the name of the game today. The kiddos all banded together today and I had a record TWENTY TWO students perform at four separate recitals today. I am so proud of each and every one of them. I get the same reaction from many people when I tell them how many students I teach, and they all seem to say, "That's a lot!" "Yes," I respond, "But they're easy."

Musicians are very good at inspiring other musicians. No matter what their age. Every single recital I look at their work and think to myself, "Man, I have to start practicing." This time was slightly different. I looked at their work, and thought, "Look at how much they made out of what I assigned them." It's a challenge, to have someone else tell you what to play and get something good out of it. The students made it personal, which is also something I try to emphasize every day. If you're not up there to make music, what's the point?

And so we come to the manifestation of my inspiration: I want to make something out of somebody else's suggestion.

This winter, I will plan on my next recital... probably around Thanksgiving. And I have no ideas for programming. That is where you, dear readers (and eventually facebook friends) will come into play. My next recital will be entirely suggestions from others. Musician or non-musician, violinist or non-violinist, it doesn't matter. Suggestions may range anywhere from Brahms sonatas to Hot Cross Buns. I want a program given to me, as I have a tendency to trust the opinion of the collective versus what I could possibly come up with on my own. (This is kind of the the wikipedia philosphy.)

A more organized facebook campaign is to follow. Until then, post your ideas in the comments! Bach, Beethoven, or Backstreet Boys - nothing is off limits.

No comments: