Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Exhaustion

I wonder if it was just pure tired-ness that caused me to sleep as hard as I did last night.

Which was HARD.

I didn't feel that well yesterday - I poured all my energy into my lessons and Linfield rehearsal, so by the time I got home, I was physically worn out and had a hint of a sore throat. I had the chills, and bundled myself up under the blankets within an hour of getting home. The last thing I remember saying to Tom was, "It's a really bad time to get sick! And it's so cold in here!" Tom then wrapped his arm around me, intent on warming me up, and it must have been exactly what I needed - I fell right asleep, and woke up this morning in the exact same position. I didn't even MOVE last night. I feel a little better, but still like I'm coming down with something.

I wonder if it's the pure volume of stuff I've been doing. I'm teaching 24 students now, in the midst of more than one concert series, and I'm also trying to prepare for two auditions in January. Why am I taking auditions? Because there are parts of the year where I encounter a long period of time with NO checks, and I'm just not sure I'm cut out for it anymore!

I don't want to move, but I'm not sure the opportunities are available for me here. Tom and I are doing just fine for ourselves, but we both agree that we want a family someday, and need to start looking for an advance in our careers. I know it will come along in some form or another, and right now is a time when we're simply paying our dues. And this is - what, character building?

However, a week from Thursday is Thanksgiving. That's going to be a long day for the two of us. But by the end of the day we'll be in Knoxville, surrounded by my whole family. It hasn't happened for two years, all of us getting together: the parents, the sister, brother-in-law, niece, and the hunny all at once. We both need a vacation, and we can't imagine a happier time than hanging out with the fam. So I'm just going to push through the exhaustion, make my way through my box of diet coke, and wait until the day when I can think about nothing but sitting on the big red couch in my parents' living room, sipping wine, and playing Trivial Pursuit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everyone's proud of you Casey. You work hard and expecting nothing more than an equal response to what you put in. And there's no doubt that wherever you end up, it will bring you prosperity.

A New Leaf said...

Thanks, Mike - that's really sweet. By the way, I've seen your other post, just taking time figuring out the best way to respond with a clear and concise argument... I never came up with one. :)